Tuesday, January 03, 2017

My word of the year for 2017


This beautiful vintage image is courtesy of Abby at Little Birdie Blessings
Careful readers of my last post will have already spotted the word for 2017: stewardship. It's not a word that we hear much today, so I want to give some explanation as to how I happened to arrive at this choice.

I've chosen a word for the year several times in the past, and it always takes some time, thought, and prayer to decide.  Last year I had chosen the word "faithfulness" -- and not just my own faithfulness to the tasks God has given me to do, but His faithfulness to me in all things.  I came back again and again to this word as the year unfolded.  Some of my God-given tasks became very heavy indeed, but over and over I was reminded that all God asked of me was to be faithful in my responsibilities.  His faithfulness would enable me to do that.

It's probably not surprising that I thought about choosing the word "faithfulness" again for 2017.  I still have many of the same responsibilities, and although some have gotten a bit lighter, others are still very heavy.  So I seriously did consider using that word again. Then one morning, I was eating breakfast, and this word literally dropped into my thinking: "stewardship".  Instantly I knew this was to be my word for the year.
 ðŸŒ¿     🌿     🌿     🌿     🌿     🌿     🌿     🌿     🌿     🌿
According to my dictionary, one definition of "steward" is "a person employed to manage another's property;  a person whose responsibility it is to take care of something."   My Bible dictionary defines "stewardship" in much the same way: "the management of another person's property, finances, or household affairs."

Stewardship is not really an option for Christians, but a necessity.  The Bible tells us that we are not our own, for God has bought us with a price.  We are to manage our lives for His glory (and, thankfully, with His help!).

"What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
"For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's."  (1 Corinthians 6:19-20)

In fact, we are to glorify God in every area of life: "Whether, therefore, ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God."  (1 Corinthians 10:31)

Everything that we have comes from God.  As Paul says in Acts 17:25, "He giveth to all life, and breath, and all things."  So all of life is to be a stewardship.  I need to take proper care of and make proper use of everything He has given me.

Some areas of stewardship God is already speaking to me about include my time, my health,  my home,  my marriage,  my ministries, my eldercare responsibilities, and so on. 

"Moreover, it is required in stewards, that a man be found faithful."  (1 Corinthians 4:2)

6 comments:

  1. That is a great word Mrs T. We are stewards of our time which I feel I often fail in using my time wisely. I am too ready to sit down with the computer, cross stitch or chat on the phone with a friend??? I need to do better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Arlene. I think, though, that you shouldn't be too rough on yourself for the way you use your time. The phone chat might just encourage a friend who needs some shoring up, and the cross stitch is accomplishing something. We just need a balance. And finding balance is a challenge for me.

      Delete
  2. A great word for sure. I am quite sure we are in a similar place in life:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sandy, I think we are at a very similar place in life!

      Delete
  3. Excellent focus and The Lord will guide you with that. I am pretty sure that I could borrow it from time to time. Oddly enough, I am talking about a little about this on tomorrow's post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Vee! I'm so thankful for God's guidance! And by all means, borrow "my" word whenever you like. I was giving my Sunday School ladies a suggestion to choose a word for the year and told them to feel free to borrow this one.

    Need to get over and comment on your post -- so too bad about the ice dams. We used to get those all the time on one of our dormers -- what a mess! Mr.T would have to get up on the roof at least once a winter and chop the ice. We had the roof replaced a couple years ago and he used ice-and-water shield, which has helped so much.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.