Monday, February 20, 2017

Looking back on 2016


Free graphic from Holley Gerth
This is one of those posts I should have written in January, preferably toward the beginning of the month, but it just didn't happen.  I actually never found time to even answer the ten questions until recently, never mind write a post about them.  So here it is, in the spirit of better late than never.

Every year I like to evaluate the year just past and there are various questions I have used to do so.  This year, I liked the idea of just ten questions to reflect upon the year, and last evening I finally found time to do so.  These are from Holley Gerth and were just what I needed. 

So here are the questions and my answers:

🌟What went well this year?
My devotional life; planning and scheduling; blogging; preparing and teaching my Sunday School lessons.

🌟What did not go well?
My physical life, especially the exercise factor.  I didn't do all that well with my homemaking responsibilities, either.

🌟What do I want to do the same next year?
All of the things that went well are things I want to continue with and perhaps improve upon.

🌟What do I want to do differently?
I want to get much more  exercise, especially walking.  I want to keep up with the intermittent fasting that really does help me feel much better in many ways. I want to get much more serious about getting sugar to a minimum in my diet.  And I want to get a much better handle on my homemaking responsibilities.  Hmmm.  Seems as if the first three might help a lot with giving me energy for the fourth.

🌟When did I feel most in my “sweet spot”?

Preparing for and teaching my Sunday School lessons; learning and being refreshed at retreats; taking time for simple getaways with my hubby.

🌟When did I feel the most exhausted and drained?
Driving back and forth from the hospital several times a day to check in on my dad and catch up with his health situation.   So thankful the hospital was not far away at all, but it took time and a toll on me regardless.  Thankful he is now safe and well cared for at a wonderful nursing home.

🌟What did I say “yes” to that I wish I had said “no” to?
Ever delegate a responsibility to someone else and wished you had just done it yourself?  That happened to me.  I imagine it's happened to most of us.

🌟What did I say “no” to that I wish I had said “yes” to?
I can't really think of anything in that category.

🌟What helped me stay close to God this year?
Making sure I had my quiet time, even on the busiest days, even if I had to split it up into several segments.  Spending good quality time in Scripture journaling, Bible study/meditation/memorization, and prayer. 

🌟What did He teach me that I want to live out next year?
A good number of lessons in my Sunday School study zeroed in on humility and contentment.  These lessons both challenged and changed me in some ways.  I would like to continue living these out not only in the coming year, but for a lifetime.

Maybe these questions are just what you need, too, to get a handle on the remaining months of 2017?   It's not too late!
🌟     🌟     🌟     🌟     🌟     🌟     🌟     🌟     🌟     🌟

12 comments:

  1. Such thought! I am far too scattered to think in this way. πŸ™ƒ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably are too scattered, right now, Vee. You're dealing with a lot and still processing your grief.

      I was feeling too scattered myself to tackle these questions up until this weekend. I've used other lists of questions in the past (one of them had 31 questions!), but I just didn't feel I was up for more than ten this year. This particular list covered all the bases without forcing me to think too deeply.

      Delete
  2. Good things to ponder Mrs T. I am thinking of reading through the Bible again this year. I want to pick up a Bible that is not marked in( like my own) so that God can speak to me about things I may need to hear. When I read my Bible that is marked in...I tend to look at those verses first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a really good thought, Arlene. Looking at our previous underlinings and markings could sort of direct our thinking in a certain way and not necessarily what God wants us to see this time around in our reading.

      Another thing that has helped me to look at Scripture with fresh eyes is doing Scripture writing or journaling. Heidi St. John Scripture writing plans are great, and you will also find wonderful ones by Shannon at Sweet Blessings. I have also used Bible reading/journaling plans by Rachel Wojo which are excellent.

      There's just something about writing out Scripture that forces you to look more closely at it. I often notice wording or phrases that never caught my attention before. I think I'll be posting about this soon; it has really been a helpful practice for me.

      Delete
  3. Hi,
    I enjoyed reading your list.
    I can relate with number 7.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carla. Isn't that the worst feeling -- you delegate with the best of intentions, wanting to give the person a chance, and then in the end the result is so disappointing. Oh well, the Lord knows about it and allowed it to be as it was. Lots of comfort in that.

      Delete
  4. I love those questions, thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Debby! Do you think you will try answering them yourself? I found them helpful in my own life.

      Delete
  5. Dear Mrs T...it is not too late to share a post such as this! {{Smiles}} I loved these questions as well as your answers! May 2017 be a truly blessed year for you in a great many ways! With love and jot in Christ,
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the encouragement, Kelly-Anne! I'm glad you enjoyed these questions ... maybe you will want to use them for yourself if you have not already done something similar.

      Blessings to you in 2017 as well. I so enjoy your blog!

      Delete
  6. A wonderful post to think about the past year. It is always good to see what has worked, and what hasn't, and to look forward to the new year! Hugs to you today dear friend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn! Even though a bit late, I always like to do an exercise like this. It really helps clarify my thinking and planning for the coming year.

      Hugs to you as well, and thanks for visiting!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.