Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Smoked Sausage Potato Salad


Photo from Taste of Home
The other night I made an old favorite recipe for supper.  I hadn't made this in a long time, so it was a treat for us.  I used Butterball® turkey smoked sausage.  The finished product is a warm potato salad and does not look exactly like the photo above, because the recipe includes green beans.  I found this photo on the Taste of Home website, as I did not have time or inclination to take a photo of my skillet.  So just picture the above salad with the addition of cut green beans.

This is a quick and easy supper that you can have on the table very quickly.  I served it with sauteed fresh tomato wedges -- quickly cooked the tomatoes in a small amount of butter with salt, pepper, and a little dill weed.  They came out really good.  So here's the recipe, which has been in my handwritten cookbook for years.  I can't even remember where I found it.

SMOKED SAUSAGE POTATO SALAD

4 medium potatoes, cubed (I used yellow potatoes and did not bother to peel them; red potatoes [as in the photo] work well also -- but really, any potatoes will do)
8 ounces or more smoked sausage, halved lengthwise and then sliced
1 small onion, chopped
Several stalks celery, sliced
1 can cut green beans, drained
Mayonnaise to taste
Honey mustard to taste
Salt and pepper to taste

 Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water, covered, until tender, about 15 minutes or so.  Meanwhile, saute the sausage, onion, and celery in a large skillet until the onion is tender and sausage is lightly browned, stirring often.

When potatoes are done, drain them and add to the skillet with the green beans.  Cook, stirring, until heated through.  Stir in mayonnaise to taste (I use about 1/3 cup) and 1 to 2 tablespoons honey mustard.  (This time, I was out of honey mustard so I used some honey mustard salad dressing.  It would also work to use regular brown mustard and some honey.)  Salt and pepper to taste.

I buy sausages of all types when they are on sale and store in the freezer until needed.  That means (assuming I have canned green beans -- another staple -- in the pantry) I can make a dish like this very quickly at almost the last minute.

Hope you enjoy this recipe if you try it!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds delish and it's making me wonder if I have any kielbasa in the freezer...unlikely that I have sausage, but in that freezer who knows?

    Did the snow arrive a little earlier than you expected? We expected this evening and it arrived just around 8 this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy this dish, Vee! It's a really comforting meal -- perfect for a blustery night like this will probably be. I am making a thick chicken with rice soup myself.

      Yes, the freezer can yield up items you forgot you had! I buy things like sausage on sale and stash them in the freezer until needed. Great to pull out for a quick meal.

      The snow did arrive several hours earlier than we expected. I'd like to think that means it will end earlier!

      Delete
  2. This sounds good and I know my hubby will LOVE. It's so smart of you to write down these loved recipes so that you'll have them, and your family will have them long after your gone. My mom had a WONDERFUL sausage and cabbage recipe that she never wrote down and I can't seem to duplicate so I guess it's just gone. Soo sad. Anyway, thanks for this. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had this recipe written in one of my handwritten cookbooks, but realized I had never posted in on my blog, so decided it was high time. This is such a good recipe and I hope you and your hubby do enjoy this if you try it.

      Have you tried searching online for a recipe similar to your mother's sausage/cabbage recipe? You might find the exact recipe, or maybe one that you could tweak to taste more like hers.

      Snowing hard here ... we may get 14 to 18 inches out of this storm. Hard for you to imagine in sunny CA, I know!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.