Thursday, December 28, 2017

In the deep freeze


Oh, my.  It is SO cold.  Right now, at 3:20 pm,  it is 0ºF. and the Weather Channel tells me it feels like -19º.  I have no trouble believing that!

This morning at 8:30, these were the facts:

And this wind chill warning is in effect until 7 tomorrow morning.
The photo at the top of the post shows an upstairs dormer window with icicles.   The snow that you see at the bottom of the window is what's built up on the porch roof. 
This is from a living room window.  That mound of snow in the foreground is covering up a stone wall.
Another from the living room.  Took this one to show the icicles.
Also from the living room.  Took this one this morning with my tablet as I loved the Christmas tree lights reflected in the outdoor trees.
I have much more that I could blog about, I'm sure.  Still lots to share from our December.  Sadly, all I can think about is how very cold I am!  Time to either cook something warm, or do some strenuous housecleaning!  (Or curl up with a cup of tea and a blanket...)

8 comments:


  1. dear Mrs. T.
    Hope you are warm inside and have plenty of books to read and tea to drink! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bernideen!

      Yes, plenty of tea at hand and I am warm inside (as long as I stoke the fires, that is). Plenty of books too; trying to make myself take time to read one other than at bedtime. Would love to find time for crafting too ...

      Happy New Year to you also!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, those temps are just way too cold for me (I live in Phoenix, AZ)!! Making a pot of soup, then curling up in a blanket with a warm cup of tea sounds like a perfect afternoon! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're too cold for me too, Carol, but here I am! We have had some sort of soup for supper every day this week. (My hubby works in the woods and often doesn't get home until 6:30 pm, so soup makes sense anyway!) Don't think I have yet curled up with a blanket, but I have had tea while accomplishing other tasks. Have you tried the Vermont Maple Ginger by Celestial Seasonings? Very warming!

      Have a happy new year!

      Delete
  3. It’s hard to think about doing anything productive. 😉 I took a nap this afternoon, which was about the limits of my ability at the time. I need a really good book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you certainly needed the nap after dealing with all of that snow. I have been sorely tempted to nap during this cold spell, but haven't succumbed yet. And I haven't been shoveling snow .. just manhandling wood into furnace and stove periodically. My least favorite winter chore, but I was thanking God this morning that the wood is right there in the cellar ... I don't have to go out and forage for it or cut it up.

      One of my Christmas presents was To Be Where You Are, the newest in the Mitford series by Jan Karon. I'm enjoying it so far but not allowing myself to get lost in it.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous12:23 AM

    Chilled memories of Vermont, hot homemadesoup, HOT cocoa and longjohns & layering. Teeth are chattering for you!Wishing you much warmer days ahead!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, I'm happy that you are here! Yes, my childhood memories are much the same as the Vermont memories you spoke of. Long johns, wool snow pants, hand-knit mittens. As kids we would play in the snow for hours and come in to hot cocoa with marshmallow fluff!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by to visit my kitchen table! I love company here in my kitchen, so be sure to leave a comment so I'll know you've visited! I'll answer your questions and comments here on the blog unless you request otherwise.